DLP Planning Ltd have secured listed building consent for the re-design of the entrance and reception area of the Sir Frederick Mappin Building, a Grade II Listed building in Sheffield city centre.
The Mappin Building was built in three phases and dates back to 1902 designed in a Baroque Revival Style. Now housing the Faculty of Engineering in the St. Georges Campus of the University of Sheffield, ongoing works are required to update and refurbish the premises in order to be suitable for continued future use by the University.
As part of these works, a detailed reconfiguration of the entrance way has been proposed and now approved by Sheffield City Council. These alterations were sought in order to improve accessibility and movability arrangements, as well as to give an enhanced reception and arrival space for visitors and users of the building. The works include the re-hanging of the original timber entrance doors to open outwards with hinges relocated to the outer edges of the structural opening as well as the addition of a post mounted push button for disabled access. The alterations were designed to re-use existing materials and preserve the building’s character and appearance as much as possible, while facilitating changes to more modern additions to staff areas.
Sheffield City Council agreed with the case made by DLP that the proposals would not harm the architectural or historic interest of the Grade II Listed Mappin Building.