DLP, working with Laxton Properties and Anderson Orr Architects, secured full planning permission, on behalf of clients, for the change of use, conversion, and refurbishments of Units 13, 14, 15 and 19 into flexible use under Class E at Church Farm, Station Road, Aldbury. The proposal also included the demolition of Unit 9 to provide ancillary car parking spaces and associated landscaping.
The site is part of the former racing stables establishment owned by Peter Harris. The historic farm buildings and farmhouse were constructed as part of the new model village of Aldbury in the mid 1840’s replacing earlier structures and altering the village layout. These farm buildings and the farmhouse are locally listed.
DLP worked proactively with the Council, and in particular the Conservation Officer, to ensure that the proposal would be acceptable in the chosen location and would not result in a detrimental impact on the Conservation Area, the AONB and the setting of Listed Buildings. The proposal was subject to a number of amendments following concerns in heritage terms. The Conservation Officer supported the proposal as it would preserve the significance of the existing locally listed buildings and the designated asset of the Conservation Area.
The proposed re-use of the stable buildings for employment purposes was considered to support the rural economy and the maintenance of the wider countryside. The proposal provided an appropriate re-use of otherwise vacant stable buildings that would ensure their sensitive retention, whilst providing local employment opportunities.